Thursday 23 October 2008

Reverting back to an earlier career path, having previously changed jobs for a new market

John asks: I started my career as an electronics engineer developing products and I loved the work mainly because I am a creative person and a problem-solver. I got sucked into the world of IT mainly because of the money, and even though I have been in many areas of IT, including management, I don't find it the least bit enjoyable. I would love to get back into engineering and product development, but I have been out so long I have no idea what is available to someone with my skills. I feel that I have been floundering in my career over the past several years; that is lack of satisfaction, no motivation, and etc. I have spent the most part of the last four years, while at my current job, doing a lot of soul searching and I really need to make a change. If anyone has any ideas on how I could go back, what someone with my background could do in product development, or even if I am too old to go back, I would greatly appreciate any advice you could offer.

In answer:
This is a not uncommon question for many who seek a new job path, but I think you are missing something here in this specific sector which may provide at least a third if not more choices

Let’s take you first. You changed paths logically from one thing to another, you say for money, and you now find that an unenjoyable career. Just using your own thought path here, but reverting back to what you did previously John you are therefore accepting a lower paid but happier (I would question that part of the choice) job – yes? Add in that you accept the knowledge path/skills gap, and you would need to go back in at a lower level than you had before, on even lower pay – yes? This personally seems a large compromise for what on the surface could just be as simple as a “looking for happiness in what I do” driver.

Now let’s take the area of design. A decade plus back, things were designed were they were made. Then along came outsourcing and low cost economies like China, and the production and inline development moved overseas – original design was still held in country. In the last few years, design has moved in two directions – high level design think tanks exist in country, to create successful product concepts: “designers” here are drawn form artistic and psychological backgrounds, with the product line concepts given over to out of country/outsourced design teams; most design is now outsourced to small conceptual teams, who are tasked on fast turnaround and low cost – this means many are heading towards low cost economies. What I am trying to say here is that, the concept you have of in-country product design may not exist, and if it does more and more of it is getting dragged overseas. What does exist draws mainly from non-engineering fields, or exists in bespoke design houses which will take concepts into trial runs, and then hand over to overseas factories. In my mind, your dream old job may either now not exist for your skill set, or now be sat somewhere in Asia.

I think you are missing a trick here though. Singular products in most markets now don’t exist – but systems do, and the hardware is tied together with IT systems solutions and software. Secondly, even if a product exists, there is far more customization of that product both in-life, in-country and well as in-deployment to customer that involves the collection of market/client data, and the customization of product system through use of IT and software to the developing market or specific client requirement. You are a designer with IT skills, right?

I really think you should get yourself in front quickly of a good certified career coach, who has taken someone before through a similar situation. Chat to at least three, check the level of certification (one NLP certificate does not make a career coach), and don’t engage until you have spoken to the reference client they took through the similar transition. You may also want to check what career management services your former colleges/universities have for alumni, while ex-military personnel also have access to great career counseling services. I would also chat to a recruitment company that specializes in design work, and ask for their advice – if they think they can help, then they are accepting you have the skills that their clients want.

It is great that you are asking questions John, and the final answer to the fulfilling career you seek may not be the one you are focused on at present – there may be an even better one that you don’t yet know about, let alone can’t yet see. Keeping asking the questions, writing down what you like/don’t like, and quickly you will find a great and fulfilling answer.

Good Luck, and if I can help you further, please – just ask!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: