Wednesday 17 September 2008

Do I put a temp position in my CV/Resume?

Kathleen asks: I was hired for a contracted writing position that lasted only a few weeks. Do I list that under the employment section of my resume, or should I list that under skills/other activities? It is my only contracted position.

In answer:
Bearing in mind that you don't lie on a CV/Resume, your CV/Resume is not supposed to be a list of every single job you have ever done. It's purpose is to include enough information to be invited for an interview. Answering the following questions should help you:

- Are you proud of this job?
- Do you think the work you did on this contract demonstrates your value as an employee in your chosen field?
- Did you learn things you would not otherwise have known?
- Do you have any other contract work you can group together?
- Will it add value to your CV/Resume?

If you are a new graduate, it may be helpful to use anything you can leverage. However, you should still try to keep your CV/Resume focused to your career goal. Basically, if your goal is to be a writer, include it - say that it was a short-term contract assignment to explain the dates, listing your learnings and accomplishments on this job. If your goal is to be an accountant, it may not be applicable.

Good Luck!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: